Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Who Needs Pottery Barn? I've got Carl!

Pottery Barn Chair
IKEA Chair

I've heard it's easy to get carried away with the first baby so I'm doing my best to stay grounded as I begin to consider such things as the nursery. When I first walked into The Pottery Barn Kids after finding out I was pregnant I found myself actually considering all the things I could purchase for the baby. The little lambie bedding, the sweet stuffed teddy bears, and the rocker-glider-sent-from-heaven twill chair. From the moment I set my tush into this little slice of heaven I thought "this chair was made for me". Then I looked at the price tag, yikes! This chair may have been made for me, but this price tag was not! At first, however, I thought "ok, so it's expensive but it's worth every penny. I mean, how many sleepless nights am I going to spend sitting in this chair? How many hours a day am I going to be feeding my child in this very chair?" When I put it that way I thought you can't put a price tag on comfort. So I talked over all the details of this must-have chair with the saleswoman and left the store with a print out outlining everything I need to know to order it and of course the total of the chair after taxes and shipping. After I left the store and the Pottery Barn high wore off I began searching the net for a comparable chair in both style and comfort but not so much in price. To make a long story short, I found nothing. Nothing as cute that rocks or glides, nothing that's cheaper that I'd even consider. Then one day it struck me, I have a chair just like the one in The Pottery Barn (minus the rocker-glider aspect)in my very own living room from IKEA and it's a 1/6th of the price! So I got my wheels turning and I started to think "you know what? I've got a pretty handy husband". He's built a shed from scratch, a TV stand that can pivot the TV depending on where you are in the room from an idea in his mind, and made his very own custom desk. "I bet" I thought "that he can turn that there chair into a rocker pretty easily".

2 comments:

  1. did he actually make the chair a rocker? that is awesome! cute blog, look forward to following it!
    Lindsay xo
    www.lovedesigncompany.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete